Products may be assigned to an insurance group. They do not have to be assigned, indeed you can use this extension and not have any insurance groups.
Before assigning a product to an insurance group you must first create the groups themselves and set the appropriate rates and limits.
To manage insurance groups navigate to Catalog->Manage Insurance Groups
From here you can add, edit, or delete insurance groups. Please be aware that if you delete insurance groups you have an adverse effect on any products that are associated with them – so make sure you know what you are doing!
When you add an insurance group there are a number of fields you can fill in.
Title is the name of the Insurance Group – this is how it will be known in the Product Area
- Apply to All Products When in Cart – See below.
- Group Subtotal From – Applies the insurance value between the cart subtotal from and to values
- Group Subtotal To – Applies the insurance value between the cart subtotal from and to values
- Flat Charge is the flat insurance rate that should be applied for all products that belong to this insurance group. The flat charge is applied once only, so now matter how many different products you have belonging to the insurance group, you only get the flat charge once.
- Percentage Charge is the percentage (from 0-100) you wish to charge in insurance. The total price (excl tax) of all products in the cart that belong to this insurance group is calculated, then the percentage is found.
- Maximum Insurance Charge is the maximum charge that will be applied to products of this group. This allows you to control what is charged at a insurance group level.
- Applicable Shipping Carriers – Choose which carriers the insurance is available to be displayed on e.g. insurance can be shown for UPS but not for FedEx rates
- Applicable Countries – Choose which countries will show the insurance values e.g. Insurance can be shown for the USA but not for the UK
Note that it is possible to apply both a flat charge and a percentage charge.
Apply to All Products When in Cart
When this has been selected all products in the cart that have not been assigned an insurance group will use this group’s rules.
If products in the cart have other insurance groups that have this setting, the respective insurance group’s rates will apply. However, both of these rules will apply to the product(s) not assigned to an insurance group.
In the example below the desk has been assigned a 10% charge and the sofa piece has been assigned a 50% charge. The bed has not been assigned an insurance group.
In the above estimation the insurance is calculated as (10% of 145) + (50% of 45) = 37
In this estimation the insurance is calculated as (10% of 145) + (50% of 45) + (10% of 240) + (50% of 240) = 181
Note that these examples are not using the Store Wide Insurance Charges – they have been left blank for illustrative purposes.